It’s hard to find the best image of the wild animal without proper gear in nocturnal conditions. We often find some special moment to click when we are not lashed with the right and best Wildlife Photography equipment. Before buying anything we need to know what exactly we need to click stunning wildlife images. Select carefully and buy the best DSLR for wildlife photography.
Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography – Why you need to select the best equipment?
Often we need to shoot in wild with nocturnal conditions. Hence we need to buy the best equipment for the best resulting images. Here we list out the Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography under your budget.
So which is the best camera for wildlife photography?
The simple answer is you can use any DSLR as a wildlife camera. But if you need to shoot any conditions you can’t use any DSLR Camera as the best camera for wildlife photography. You need to have the proper camera for all the situations like extream weather, Dust, Mist etc.
Most of the situations amateur and pro wildlife photographers prefer Digital single reflex camera that means DSLR camera. Due to lots of lenses available in the market, it helps photographers to click almost any type of photo.
If you are a photography beginner than you might be interested to look at our guide for Best DSLR Camera for beginners.
Let’s check what are the essential features of the best camera for wildlife photography?
High ISO sensitivity
Super fast burst shooting speed
Comfortable Body Size and Great Build Quality
Lots of telephoto Lens Compatibility
Best camera for wildlife photography you can buy now …
Before know more about the essential features quickly check out the best wildlife camera list from semi-pro to Pro category. Each camera is capable of clicking stunning images. Some are used in Landscape photography, some are used in Wild animal & Bird photography and some can be a mean machine in nocturnal conditions.
List of Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography (APS-C Sensor)
Canon Eos 7D Mark II
|Canon EOS 80D 24.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) Body + Memory Card||91 Reviews||from ₹ 81,700||Buy on Amazon|
|Nikon D7500 Camera (Black) with AF-S VR Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens Kit, 16GB Class 10 SD Card and Carry...||9 Reviews||₹ 115,450 ₹ 105,100||Buy on Amazon|
|Nikon D7200 24.2MP Digital SLR Camera Body Only (Black) with Card, Camera Bag||11 Reviews||₹ 81,450 ₹ 59,200||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EOS EOS 7D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Body Only||10 Reviews||₹ 128,795 ₹ 119,990||Buy on Amazon|
|NIKON D 500 BODY||6 Reviews||₹ 129,495||Buy on Amazon|
List of Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography (Full Frame FX Sensor)
- Canon Eos 5D mark 4
|Nikon D5 1558 20.8 MP FX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body (CF Version) + Free Lowepro Pro Runner 350...||5 Reviews||₹ 474,900||Buy on Amazon|
|D850 WITH THE AF-S NIKKOR 24-120MM F/4G ED VR||6 Reviews||₹ 299,950 ₹ 282,990||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EOS 5D Mark IV 30.4MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) with Body Only||24 Reviews||₹ 271,995 from ₹ 255,600||Buy on Amazon|
|Nikon D750 24.3 Digital SLR Camera (Black) Body Only||31 Reviews||₹ 134,450 ₹ 111,899||Buy on Amazon|
|Sony A99Ii 42.4Mp Digital Slr Camera With 3" Lcd, Black (Ilca99M2)||No ratings yet||₹ 249,990||Buy on Amazon|
Let’s elaborate the essential features…
Focus sensor: In wildlife photography, you need to shoot in very low light situations to very highlight situations. So it is necessary that your camera never misses a shot with out of focus. That’s why it is essential to have a good focus sensor of the best camera for wildlife and bird photography.
You should check
- More focus point means more accurate autofocus
- The more cross type focus point. Cross type focus points lock the subject more quickly and accurately.
- EV Focus helps the camera and lens to focus in low light or bright highlights.
- Focus at f8. If you use teleconverters then your camera’s ability to focus reduces due to the converter.you need to check if your camera and lens can focus at f8.
Full Frame sensor or Crop Sensor (APS-C)
Choosing one from Full Frame and Crop Sensor (APS-C) DSLR depends on situations. Most of the professionals love to choose Full Frame DSLR due to lots of advantage against Crop Sensor (APS-C). The only disadvantage of a Full Frame is high cost and relatively heavy body.
In wildlife photography most of the situations we need to shoot from long distance and without proper lighting conditions. A full frame DSLR can help you out such nocturnal conditions due to its high ISO sensitivity. Most of the Full Frame DSLRs have a large number of focus points and cross-type focus points. That leads you to an extremely focused stunning image at the end of the day.
You can choose a good APSC DSLR for wildlife if you love shooting landscapes and most of the daytime shots. These are lightweight as compared to Full frame. Due to APS-C cameras 1.6x crop factor, you can get 500mm with a 300mm lens.
That’s not all…
If you are a professional then you can use a good APS-C crop sensor as your backup DSLR too. And thus you’ll get a best affordable camera for wildlife photography.
Super fast burst shooting speed :
Why FPS (Frame per second )matters?
Probably you are shooting a moving animal, you will get a chance to click every second a different better image. If your DSLR can’t provide the frame rate to click more within a second you probably will not get the chance to click the same again. best wildlife camera offers best frame rate too.
In photography, every photographer sometimes misses focus at some point. More shots mean more images and you have a better chance to get the best shot.
In wildlife photography buffer size of a DSLR matters, you can’t recreate the same shot again, if your camera can shoot at 7fps and buffer is 5 shots that mean you need to wait for two shots to complete. therefor you need a good buffer size so that you can shot smoothly.
Note: You need a super fast memory card for your DSLR too.
Comfortable Body Size and Great Build Quality
It is also important to have a weather sealed body. Most of the professionals have to face Snow, Rain, Dust etc. during shooting wildlife. It helps you to shoot extreme weather conditions. Better build quality
Better build quality means better durability. That also means long life.
Environment Sealing body
Most of the situations wildlife photographer needs to face challenging weather conditions. Sometimes you need to shoot in snow or rain or sometimes hot and high humidity situations. Weather sealed body protects your DSLR form these kinds of situations. You can shoot with some drop of rain or snow without worrying about your wildlife camera. you concentrate more on your subject, means better image.
Lots of telephoto Lens Compatibility
You need to shoot from long distance. To shoot from the distance you need to have some telephoto lenses and teleconverters. If your camera body supports a wide variety of telephoto lenses then you can choose the best one to shoot the desired subject with the proper lense. As you know that you will find any kind of lens for Canon and Nikon. So you no need to worry about but if you have a SOny or Fuji or other cameras then you need to think of compatible lenses as per your photographic requirement.
So you decide to buy an FX or DX DSLR Camera for wildlife photography?
Let’s check why should you buy this DX or APS-C DSLR Camera…
Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography in 2017-18
- 45-point all cross-type AF system, allows for superb autofocus when shooting with the optical viewfinder and focusing area selection modes
- Intelligent viewfinder with approximately 100-percent viewfinder coverage
Our first recommendation as the best affordable camera for wildlife photography is Canon Eos 80D. Canon 80 D born in 2016.
It is one of our best choices from Canon. Currently, we are also using it. It fulfills both photography and videography needs. With this price point, it is equipped with lots of features.
Canon 80D has a 24.2 Megapixel APS-C sensor. It is enough for big prints and you can also crop the image.
Why is Canon 80D Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography?
- Canon 80D has 45 focus points and all are the cross type. The Auto Focus system compatible with f8 so you can use teleconverters. You can use focus points as a group, single, or all the 45 points to click your photo. Canon 80 D has a dedicated focus control button. It is an advantage.
- 7fps continuous shooting makes it good for wildlife photography. Buffer size around 120 Jpeg images or 25 raw images, with a fast memory card.
- You may also like to view an amazing video about Canon 80D
Video credit: Youtube.com
100 to 25,600 Iso and low noise in high iso is also an advantage. The 3” articulating screen gives you the flexibility of taking shooting from awkward positions.
Why is it good for wildlife videography?
With Dual Pixel AF technology the photographer can click fast moving subject more accurately. It can click Full HD Videos at 60 fps. Means you can add the slow-mo effect in post-processing. You can also change focus with its touchscreen.
Weighs of Canon 80D is the only 730g, which helps the photographer to shoot all day long. Inbuilt wi-fi and NFC gives you the flexibility of transferring the images to your compatible device anywhere and anytime.
- 21 MP, 4K UHD, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3.2" Tilt able Touch Screen
- EH-5c AC adapter; requires EP-5B power connector (available separately)
Our nest recommendation on Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography is Nikon D7500. Nikon D7500 is made for the photographers who love wildlife, sports, action.
Why is it Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography?
- It has a 20.9MP DX (APS-C) CMOS sensor with no AA anti-aliasing filter. That makes the image sharper and more detailed.
- Expeed 5 image processor makes your image outstanding in its class.
- 51 focus points with 15 cross types points make Nikon D7500 focus fast and accurate.
- 100% coverage viewfinder makes your eyes feel real 0.94x magnification.
- 30 to 1/8000 seconds shutter speed gives you the power to click blazing fast objects to a still life or slow moving object.
- You can record 4k videos too with 60p at 2.25x crop
- 8FPS continuous shooting speed gives you the ability to click fast.
- The Large buffer of 50 images is good for wildlife photography.
- DX-format 24.2-megapixel CMOS sensor and EXPEED 4 image-processing engine
- 51-point autofocus (AF) system with the new Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 II autofocus sensor+BC6
You can also choose Nikon D7200 as your wildlife photography companion. As like as Nikon d7500, it is also a camera made for wildlife sports and adventure.
Why is Nikon D7200 good for wildlife photography?
- 24.2MP APS-C Sensor can click awesome wildlife images. No AA filter makes it sharper.
- 3.2″ LCD screen provides a clear image with 1,229k dots.
- 100% coverage viewfinder with 0.94x magnification helps to frame your image.
- 30 to 1/8000 seconds shutter speed let you capture any kind of situations.
- You can shoot 6FPS continuously and 7FPS at 1.3x crop.
- Dual SD card let you give the flexibility to save the image two different formats (Raw and Jpeg) simultaneously.
- With Exspeed 4 image processor it gives best in the class image.
- Best in class ISO 100 to 25,600 ISO.
- Improved low light focus ability.
- Wifi and NFC for connectivity.
- The extended buffer size of 18 Raw images of 14 bit and 27 images of 12bit. 100 jpeg image capability.
- The capability of recording 1080p@60FPS.
Canon Eos 7D MarkII is one of the popular Wildlife DSLR cameras but a little bit older.
Why is Eos 7DMark II good for wildlife photography?
- 20.2 Megapixel A-PSC sensor is good enough for wildlife photography.
- Dual Pixel autofocus makes it accurate in focus
- Dual Digic 6 image processor ensures quality
- 10 FPS continuous shooting makes it good for wildlife.
- 31 Raw and 1000+Jpeg buffer help you to shoot continuously.
- 65 point all cross type focus sensor is more accurate.
- 1080p HD video@60fps is good for videography.
- Inbuilt GPS and campus make geotagging easy.
- customizable viewfinder and built-in Intervalometer are in this camera.
- Duel card slot is one of the advantages of wildlife photography.
- Magnesium alloy body and improved weather sealing make it a good wildlife photography equipment.
- Slim line, stylish and easy to use
- Multi-cam 20K Autofocus sensor with 153/99 AF points
Nikon D500 is a perfect A-PSC camera for wildlife. It has a very accurate AF system, Large buffer and low light capability make it the Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography.
Why is Nikon D500 the best DSLR for wildlife photography?
- 20.9MP CMOS DX APS-C sensor is good for wildlife photography
- 50 to 51,200 iso sensitivity makes it great.
- EXPEED 5 image processor ensures quality.
- 53 AF points with 99 cross type focus point up to -4EV gives extreme low light focus capability.
- 4k video can be recorded @30FPS.
- The continuous speed of 10FPS.
- SD and XQD memory card support.
- SnapBridge wifi and Bluetooth compatibility.
- 30 to 1/8000s shutter speed makes it great for wildlife photography.
- 2.359k dots best in class LCD display.
The above DX (APS-C)cameras are good for wildlife photography. You can buy one of this if you like to buy a DX-format DSLR. Or you may check out the following Full Frame cameras.
Why is FX camera good for wildlife photography?
FX camera can handle extreme low light situations with its big sensor and High ISO sensitivity. If You need extreme low light high-quality photos you need an FX-format DSLR. So the below are some DSLR you can buy right now.
- 20.8mp fx-format cmos sensor
- Expeed 5 image processor, native iso 102400, extend to iso 3280000
It is one of the Finest DSLR for wildlife photography ever. Nikon D5 is a flagship DSLR from Nikon.
Let’s check it out.
Why is Nikon D5 the best DSLR for wildlife photography?
- 21 MP Full Frame CMOS sensor, It is good for all kind of photography.
- The game-changing ISO 100 to 102400, and also expandable up to 3280000 gives you the flexibility to shoot in low light conditions.
- 14 FPS continuous shooting speed is enough to shoot a moving wild animal.
- 153 Focus Points with 99 cross-type sensors can focus accurately as log as quickly.
- 1/8000s High Shutter Speed is good for wildlife photography.
- Autofocus at f8 using 15 focus points is good for using teleconverters.
- It is environmentally sealed so that you can use it any situations.
- Two memory cards slots are available.
- Long Battery Life of 3780 shots, you don’t need to charge during shooting, it is enough.
- It can record 4K video along with 4k time-lapse.
Canon 1Dx is one of the flagship form Canons. Photographers all over the world use such device for wildlife photography.
Why is Canon 1Dx the best DSLR for wildlife photography?
- 18 MP Sensor is good for wildlife photography.
- 61 focus points with 41 cross type focus so that you can focus your subject accurately.
- With 51.200 Max ISO gives you wide opportunity to click in low light situations.
- 1/8000s High Shutter Speed can freeze any kind of wildlife object.
- 1120 shots high battery life is good for wildlife photography.
- Environment sealed body helps you to shoot any weather conditions.
Nikon D850 is one of the best DSLRs ever. this is the top-notch DSLR for all purpose. You can buy it right now, whatever your photographic need is.
- D850 WITH THE AF-S NIKKOR 24-120MM F/4G ED VR(64 gb sd included)
- free..rech. Battery+ Charger+Manual+2 yrs Warranty Card
Why is Nikon D850 the best DSLR for wildlife photography?
- Huge 45.75MP Full Frame CMOS sensor without AA filter, That makes it great for wildlife photography.
- Two memory slots SD and one XQD.
- 153 points focus sensor for clicking with amazing accuracy and joystick focus control.
- Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi available for connectivity.
- 4K videos available, 1080p video recording at 120 fps.
- Fully silent shooting mode available with its electronic shutter.
- Best in the class ISO 64 to 25,600 can be expandable to 32 and up to 108,400. It can click amazing low light images.
- & fps of continuous shooting and you can shoot 9 fps with its grip.
- Huge 51 images buffer size 14bit raw.
- 180k RGB light meter.
Video Credit: Youtube
Canon 5d is one of the best well-known wildlife photography machines. Now Canon launched Canon Eos 5D Mark iv. Let’s check out…
- 30.4 MP full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
- Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
Why is Canon 5DMark IV the best DSLR for wildlife photography?
- 30 MP CMS full frame sensor, which is good for wildlife photography.
- ISO 100 to 25600 and can be expandable 50 to 102400, which is good for low light photography.
- 7 FPS continuous shooting is good for Wildlife.
- 61 Auto Focus Points with 41 cross type for accurate autofocus.
- Can autofocus at f8 using 61 focus points, so that you can use a teleconverter.
- Capable of recording 4K videos.
- Duel card slots.
- Environment sealed body so that you don’t have any issue during the shooting in tough weather conditions.
- NFC and WIFI for communication.
Nikon D750 Is one of the most used DSLRs from Nikon. It a good value for money FX format wildlife photography DSLR.
- Revel in images that are true to every detail With an impressive 24.3 megapixels and an EXPEED 4 image-processing engine, the Nikon D750 ensures that every single full-frame image you take retains rich gradation and remarkable detail. Take advantage of a wide ISO range from ISO 100 to 12800 (expandable from ISO 50 equivalent to ISO 51200 equivalent) for stunning image quality even in low light conditions.
- Shoot with ease without compromise The Nikon D750 is the first FX-format DSLR to feature a newly developed monocoque body with a sturdy encased structure for a compact, durable frame and an improved grip with added depth that delivers steady and secure handling. It allows for better manoeuvrability and is the smallest and lightest*1 Nikon FX-format model. The enhanced body is resistant to both dust and water droplets that makes the Nikon D750 your all-weather companion. A redesigned shutter ensures long-lasting use, while the energy-saving design gives you the luxury of shooting as many as 1230*2 shots per charge.
Why is Nikon D750 the best DSLR for wildlife photography?
- 24 MP full frame CMOS Sensor is good for wildlife photographic needs.
- 51 Autofocus points with 15 cross type for fast and accurate focus.
- Articulating Screen helps the photographer to take photos from different angles what photographer cannot see with the viewfinder.
- ISO 100 to 12800 and expandable 50 to 51200, means good low light photography can be done.
- 6.5 FPS continuous shooting speed is average good for wildlife photography.
- 1230 shots battery life is good.
- Autofocus supports at F8 with 11 points, means you can use teleconverters.
- Two storage slots are enough.
- Full HD video recording at 60 FPS.
This is the Camera from Sony you can use for wildlife photography. It is lashed with Full frame BSI-CMOS sensor.
- Up to 12fps at 42.4MP continuous shooting with AE/AF tracking, World's first 79 hybrid AF cross-point array for unmatched AF tracking
- 42.4MP full-frame sensor w/ no low-pass filter up to ISO 102,4004, 4K movie recording w/full pixel readout in full-frame or super 35, 5-axis in-body image stabilization optimized for full-frame sensor
Why is Sony a99II Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography?
- 42.0MP High-resolution BSI CMOS sensor is the good one for wildlife photography.
- 399 focus points with 79 cross type sensor are good for accurate and fast focus.
- Sensor-based 5 axis image stabilization is one of the most sophisticated features that make wildlife photography one step ahead.
- 12 FPS high continuous shooting is one of the cool features of Sony a99 II.
- 1/8000s high shutter speed helps in wildlife photography.
- 25.600 Max ISO is good for low light photography.
- 4K – 3840 x 2160 video resolution is good for recording some wildlife video.
- Wifi and NFC help you to transfer your images directly from Sony a99II wirelessly.
- Environment sealing makes it weatherproof.
Final words: We are trying to create a list of best DSLR camera for wildlife photography for every budget and every kind of professional to beginners. Hope this will help you if you have any suggestion regarding Best DSLR for Wildlife Photography please feel free to leave a comment.
Last update on 2017-12-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API